Date / Time
10:30 am - 6:30 pm
Kensington Court Hotel
3500 S State St
Ann Arbor, MI 48108
Registration is closed for this event.
Downloadable Registration Form:
WRIGHTSLAW REGISTRATION FORM
Presented by Wayne Steedman, Esq.
The one day special education law and advocacy program will focus on four areas:
- Special Education law, rights and responsibilities
- Tests and measurements to measure progress and regression
- SMART IEPs
- Introduction to tactics and strategies for effective advocacy
** Attendees that register prior to September 1, 2019 will receive FREE downloads of Wrightslaw: Special Education Law, 2nd Ed. and Wrightslaw: Special Education Legal Developments and Cases 2016. **
Registration fees includes lunch, snack and three top selling books by Wrightslaw (Retail Price – $62.85):
- Wrightslaw: Special Education Law, 2nd Edition
- Wrightslaw: From Emotions to Advocacy, 2nd Edition
- Wrightslaw: All About IEPs
Wrightslaw programs are designed to meet the needs of parents, educators, health care providers, advocates and attorneys who represent children with disabilities regarding special education. The program is NOT disability specific.
About Wayne Steedman, Esq.
Mr. Steedman’s practice is devoted primarily to the representation of children with disabilities. He has represented his clients in administrative due process hearings and state and federal courts.
In addition to a law degree from the University of Maryland, Mr. Steedman has a Masters Degree in Social Work. For several years, he served as a Due Process Hearing Officer in special education cases. He is an active member of the Council of Parent Attorneys and Advocates (COPAA).
Mr. Steedman is the author of “Advocating for Services: Legal Issues Confronting Parents and Guardians” in Growing Up with Autism: Working with School-Age Children and Adolescents by Robin L. Gabriels and Dina E. Hill (Editors), published by The Guilford Press (2007).
Wayne Steedman and Pete Wright have worked together since Wayne’s successful decision in Gerstmyer v. Howard County Public Schools. In Gerstmyer, the Judge found that a Montessori School was the appropriate placement for a child with dyslexia, a language learning disability.
WrightsLaw Conference Agenda
9:30 – 11:00 am : Registration / Exhibits Open
11:00 am – 12:30 pm :
- IDEA History & Book Overview
- Section 1400 Findings, Purpose
- Section 1401 Definitions: Disability, Special Education, Related Services, LD, etc.
12:30 pm – 1:30 pm : Lunch / Exhibits Open
1:30 pm – 2:45 pm :
- Section 1412 ESY, Child Find, LRE, Private Placements
- Understanding Test Data with the Bell Curve, Standard Scores, Scale Scores, % Ranks, Grade Equivalent, Age Equivalent
2:45 pm – 3:00 pm : Break / Exhibits Open
3:00 pm – 4:30 pm :
- Section 1414 Evaluations and IEPs
- Section 1415 Due Process, Rules of Procedure, Discipline, Section 504, ADA, FERPA, ESSA, OCR, USDOJ
- Legal Research – How to Find Cases
- Endrew F. + Fry, SCOTUS and Other Recent Cases
4:30 pm – 4:45 pm : Break / Exhibits Open
4:45 pm – 6:00 pm :
From Emotions to Advocacy
- Developing the Master Plan
- Knowing the Rules of the Game
- Dealing with Conflict, a Healthy and Normal Event
- Crisis, Emergency, Help
- Organization of the File
- Tactics and Strategies
- The Letter to the Stranger
- 5 Ws + H + E
- Meeting Strategies
6:00 pm – 6:30 pm : Questions and Answers
“I thoroughly enjoyed your conference in Texas. The information I learned was invaluable! My ability to interpret test scores has shed new light on my child’s education and my work as an advocate. You have given me the confidence and incentive to be a more passionate advocate and I sincerely thank you!”
Wrightslaw programs often fill up early – don’t miss out!
“What a marvelous conference! I often leave sped presentations angry and/or guilty because of all the things that were done or not done. This time I left encouraged, inspired and armed!”
- Event Coordinator: Misty Kluck
- Phone: (734) 780-6795
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Scholarships: Current Down Syndrome Support Team families can contact the event coordinator for an 80% scholarship. The scholarship does NOT count towards your class totals.
Childcare: PENDING. Please contact Misty Kluck @ (734) 780-6795 if childcare is needed.
Refund Policy: No refunds will be given after October 25, 2019.
Exhibitor Information: If you are interested in exhibiting at the event, please email Misty at email@example.com.
Parking: Parking is free.
The Kensington Hotel does have a small block of rooms available for the WrightsLaw conference. Price is $99 for the night.
Special Needs Accommodations: Please contact Misty Kluck no later than September 1, 2019 via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
“I still cannot get over the exceptional content and support you provided. Your personal story is truly an inspiration! Thank you so much. I know that you will continue to make a difference in my daughter’s life, as well as countless others you work with.”